Tau beta sigma
Tau Beta Sigma operates primarily as a student service and leadership recognition society whose chief aim is to assist the directors in developing the leadership and enthusiasm that they require of their band. Our goals are not only to provide the band with organized and concentrated service activities, but to give our membership valid and wholesome experiences in organization, leadership, and social contacts. The honorary nature of membership is based on our premise that “it is an honor to be selected to serve”—this band, its department of music, its sponsoring institution, and the cause of band music in the nation's colleges and universities.
"We provide exceptional service to collegiate bands and promote equality and diversity, including empowering women in the band profession. We cultivate leadership, educational achievement, music appreciation and community development."
"Tau Beta Sigma is a highly respected pre-eminent music organization comprised of over 160 collegiate chapters and more than 3,800 collegiate members with a balanced representation of women and men. Strong leadership thrives throughout our organization and we have a solid financial foundation. We cultivate and sponsor a variety of music education programs for our diverse membership and work closely with collegiate band directors. Our alumni association is an integral part of Tau Beta Sigma, promoting diversity efforts, social networking and assisting members in enhancing their professional leadership and employment possibilities after graduation from college. We are actively engaged in the community through music."
Be it known that Tau Beta Sigma, National Honorary Sorority for members of the college band, is an organization operating exclusively in the field of the college and university bands, for the following purposes:
1. To promote the existence and welfare of the collegiate bands and to create a respect and appreciation for band activities and achievements among the listening public everywhere.
2. To honor outstanding members of the band through privilege of membership, in the Sisterhood, extended in recognition of musical achievement, demonstrated leadership, and an enthusiastic approach to band activities.
3. To develop leadership through active participation with the band, and through it, to strengthen those traits of conduct, thought, and idealism which characterize the responsible membership of the band.
4. To encourage a close relationship between collegiate bands and promote a high average of attainment by the performance of good music and selection of worthwhile projects.
5. To provide a meaningful and worthwhile social experience for all engaged in collegiate band work, and to cooperate with other musical organizations and societies in every manner consistent with our mutual purposes and those of the institution at which chapters are located.
The “Five Qualities”
1. Knowledge and development of your physical powers in the quest for good health and bodily perfection;
2. Recognition and development of your intellectual potential;
3. Appreciation for and the maintenance of the highest moral standards;
4. Achievement of and the personification within you of lofty spiritual ideals;
5. Cultivation and maintenance of your emotional poise under all conditions.
The “Eight Essential Factors”
1. Physical and mental qualities of an attractive nature;
2. Demonstrated loyalty and dependability to those persons and institutions deserving of it;
3. A truthfulness and honesty which instills a sense of trust in others;
4. A cheerfulness at all times and under all circumstances, even in the face of great trial;
5. A mutual interest in the Art of Music in its performance and in the aesthetic qualities it can project to others;
6. Generosity of mind, heart, and hand;
7. Tolerance, tempered with kindness and a consideration for the needs of others;
8. Fortitude and courage to see an ideal, to seize upon it, and follow it wherever it may lead you in Tau Beta Sigma.